Farallone (originally Q-9) is the last surviving example of the first 12 boats specifically built for the U. S. Army’s Quartermaster Corps by Luders Marine Construction Company of Stamford, CT in 1918. She is the second oldest Luders-built boat in existence.
Q-9’s existence is due to the changing of the U. S. Army Transport Service from a partially civilian organization to a wholly military one needing its own watercraft, and came about at the moment of major military expansion and the emergence of the United States as a world power. These boats were placed under direct military control and were to be used for transporting material and personnel for the country’s eastern coastal artillery posts.
Q-9 was stationed at Ft. Washington, Maryland until 1923, when she was transferred to the Army War College in Washington, DC to become the Quartermaster General’s personal launch. She was used by two Quartermaster Generals (B. F. Cheatham and Wm. H. Hart) as well as by the Secretary of War, but still carried out her other duties of transporting Infantry and Artillery Corps personnel in the Chesapeake Bay area. On a gentler side, she was loaned yearly to the Women’s Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic for Memorial Day services on the Potomac River.
In 1929 she was shipped on the steamer Marian Otis Chandler out of Norfolk, VA to San Francisco, CA to be used as a utility boat for carrying prisoners and employees to and from the military prison at Alcatraz Island, as well as being used for regular military passenger service. In 1935 Q-9 was transferred to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island and served there as “29-T-873” until the end of World War II in 1945.
After being sold as surplus, Q-9, now renamed Farallone, after the islands off the California coast, was operated on various passenger runs, as a boy Scout boat, and enjoyed a brief career as the first salmon sport fishing party boat out of San Francisco. She was bought and used as a shipyard launch by D. J. Arques in Sausalito, CA until being laid up in 1963.
Farallone was purchased in 1975 in Sausalito where she was being used as a houseboat. She was hauled and restored on a part-time basis over the following thirteen years. She was shipped to Texas in 1993 where fitting out was largely completed. Since then she has cruised the waters of the Gulf Coast, the Bahamas and the U. S. East Coast as a yacht. She was purchased by her current owner, an accomplished ships carpenter, in 2002 and berthed in Newport, RI.
Farallone was built in 1918. Her LOA is 61’; LWL is 60’; beam is 13’4”; draft is 5’4”; her hull is wood. She is powered by a single Detroit Diesel 671-N 200 hp 6 cylinder engine. There are currently 1900hours on the engine.
Construction is long-leaf yellow pine and Douglas fir planking on white oak frames; l